Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Break Down at 30, Recovery at 50

Running has been a source of enjoyment and exercise for me since 1978.  I have enjoyed most of my running in my neighborhood.  And when not at home or on Vacations, I have run on beaches in Michigan and Oahu (Hawaii), City parks in San Antonio, the Phoenix area and Colorado Springs, and one fall weekend, the suburbs of Minneapolis.  

As I am told, the human body excretes an enzyme called in endorphins.  As I understand this process, this is a part of what allows a runner to "get their second wind" or "break through the pain" as he or she runs or races for a period of time; I have enjoyed both benefits!   

At age 29, I started to get some knee pain.  A little ache and twinge of pain became more regular as I increased my running time or started going up and down hills, inclines, and even running up four flights of stairs.   

Eric, a runner friend, told me what caused the pain; in the late 70's, he had a knee surgery performed on his right knee I saw what that did to him.  I did not want to endure that radical surgery (it was quite complicated as compared to today's micro surgery techniques), so I quit running, for 20 years.  Well, the knee pain still persisted: water skiing was also painful and even carrying a 40 load up stairs proved to be unpleasant.  

As the years went by, other things developed:
  • A shortness of breath when I exerted myself
  • Pain became a regular characteristic in my lower and mid back
  • I developed Dunlops disease (where my belly dun lopped over my belt!)
  • It was hard for me to perform manual labor for 12 hours without getting tired
About 6 years, I realized I wanted my old life back and did not want to age like this!  In this period, I visited my sister, Carolyn and her family one summer's weekend in Michigan.  She very lovingly patted my expanded stomach area and said "One too many burritos, huh Big Brother?".   Oh, was I embarrassed!  "Does anyone else see this?" I asked myself..  "Of course!" 

At the same time, I was making regular visits to my local chiropractor to help manage my back pain.  I would feel OK for a few days after a treatment, then the pain would always come back!  And he had a poster in his office that scared me: it read "When you wear out your body, where are you going to live?"    As an engineer, I knew the root cause of health decline was not being addressed; other men in my age bracket still appeared to be healthy and active; "what are they doing that I am not doing?"   20 years of pain, declining health, and searching for answers.  "The Bible" showed what I was doing wrong, particularly the Book of Daniel and the Law of Moses showed me I was not putting nutrition in my body, henceforth pain, weight problems, fatigue, poor sleep patterns, dying a little more each day, etc. became my reality!   

What people think is "food" is actually not.  It may fill our stomachs, but it is not rebuilding our bodies or giving us good health.  It may taste good, but it is somewhat toxic.  The common food that was available in most markets and most restaurants was slowly killing me.

Ultimately, I stumbled across the solution: food that restores health.  I tweaked my diet and I got good results.  The solution was quite simple and easy and enjoyable to follow.  And the cost is the same as commercial food in the grocery store.  Now, my big belly is gone, my skin smooth (no longer rough, full of wrinkles, and sag free), I sleep better, no more fatigue, and I can run again!  In fact, I can out run most males 10 years my junior; that is quite cool!   

No comments: