Monday, December 3, 2007

Introduction to the World

I am Harry Otto, of San Antonio, Texas.  Some of my characteristics & attributes include: 
  • Cute Wife
  • 3 kids and 2 grandkids
  • Healthy & Wonderful parents & in-laws
  • Christian upbringing and values, and education and training
  • Supportive set of 4 siblings, extended family and friends
  • Nice home, 2 cars,  declining mortgage, and plenty of "stuff"
  • Good Health (this blessing is from GOD, and not from my doing!)
  • And very thankful for all of these blessings!  
Like all Boomers, I have a tendency to worry at times.  I know, it is usually a waste of time and energy, so I try to concentrate on the aforementioned blessings; then my worries seem to be less significant.  Have you ever realized that most of the items you worried about never became reality?  Christ largely insisted that we not give way to disquieting, perplexing cares  (Matthew 6:25-34).  "Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?"   

The two common worries minds of most adults are health and money matters.  

On the issue of money, my Dad taught me from an early age ... "Harry, live on 90% of what you earn".... Before Dave Ramsey, renowned financial advisor, learned from his own trials and errors and became a great resource for us Boomers, my Dad taught me how to avoid the trappings of money and pride.  Dad was a union carpenter and we 5 kids never lacked any material item.  To this day, if Mom and Dad want to take a vacation (now it is "cruising") or make a major purchase, they do it with cash; "What a concept!"  Also to my Dad's credit, all of us kids have been blessed financially; and all of us have owned businesses that have supported our families at various times in our careers.  But these business - money machines are not always beneficial to us!

I was having lunch with a good friend today.  Victor, a Boomer, born in 1946, and I have been friends for 17 great years.  He has a wonderful family, loves GOD, but he struggles with money issues.  His financial situation is similar to that of 75 to 85% of all Boomers: he is broke.   His Italian heritage gave him numerous people skills, a sense of humor, handsome children, and more, but the fortunes he has amassed have all evaporated.  Vic has been a great producer at times during the last 20 years. And when he is not producing, he is  a "dreamer" of exciting business ventures that, he admits, may have had the value of toilette  paper.  These days, I have the good fortune to share with Vic the values my Dad taught me.  He is a great friend.

And as the old proverb says, "When you don't have your health, you don't have anything."  Tomorrow I will tell you how I lost my health, then got it back.

No comments: